When your professor says:
“The book is required for this course.”
Well you won’t get away with not getting the book for this class. However, before you run out to your campus bookstore and blow hundreds of dollars consider your other options.
Check out www.chegg.com
- Chegg always you to buy, rent, and sell textbooks at a cheaper rate.
- Chegg pays for your shipping label to return your texts books at the end of the semester.
- Chegg sends free gifts like coupons, laundry detergent samples, and energy drinks.
Check out www.amazon.com
- Amazon also allows students to purchase or rent textbooks online.
- Their prices are at times better than alternatives, so be sure to check your options.
When the syllabus says: “In order to do well in my class you MUST read the book.”
This is probably one of the worst things to hear as a college student. You are immediately overwhelmed with the hundreds of pages you will have to read. However, there are things you can do to make this a little easier.
- Learn a few shortcuts
- There will be times when it is difficult to complete all of the assigned readings. Try your best to at least skim over the main points usually found at the beginning or end of the chapter.
- Take notes on the main points and focus on people and vocabulary.
- Consider listening to an audio version of the book if you are an auditory learner. You can listen while you do chores or drive.
I hope this helps at least one college student out there. Let me know in the comments how you survive the dreaded assigned readings in college.